Sunday, August 23, 2015

Brits in Greatcoats & Kentuckians--28mm

Hello everyone!

Spent the weekend working on a couple of stands' worth of figures; I'm rather pleased with how they came out. Here is the Light and Grenadier Companies of the 1/4th Regiment of Foot and LTC William Mitchusson, commander of Mitchusson's Kentucky Militia Regiment.

(Remember to click on the pictures for bigger versions.)

 
 
 
 
 





The 1/4th Foot miniatures are primarily Knuckleduster, though the sergeant standing in the rear rank of the Grenadier Company (with white pom poms) is from Foundry. The Grenadiers are based on a single 40mm x 40mm base like the rest of my infantry, while the Light company is split between two 20mm x 40mm bases; this is so the Lights can break off and skirmish in front of the rest of the battalion. I've done this with my 15mm British battalions, and I really like how they look with 28mm figures. Uniforms are pretty much regulation, though a few figs are wearing "beef boots" (akin to mukluks or some other kind of improvised hide boots) and fur shako covers. I like how these figures are sculpted to look like they are really cold, with uniform modifications that look functional in actual cold weather environments, be they in North America or in the Peninsula.

Lieutenant Colonel William Mitchusson and his companion form the command stand for Mitchusson's Kentucky Militia Regiment. This unit will have six stands of two figures each. Mitchusson, in the chapeau bras, sash and saber, is a Knuckleduster miniature, while his companion (whom I've dubbed "Polecat" Smith) is from Foundry. Both figures are painted up using a number of different sources as uniform guides, namely pictures of War of 1812 reenactors. "Polecat" was painted with a skunk fur cap (hence the nickname) and his facial hair is grey because the figure reminds me of my own grandfather, who has a similar beard. (I also gave him the name Smith in honor of Grandpa, who is a modern day Kentucky mountain man in his own right, very much the kind of man who would have fought the British 200 years ago.)

Coming soon: Well, I have the 1/4th Foot halfway done, so it won't take long to get them knocked out. Mitchusson's Kentuckians won't take long either, though I expect with lots of orders due to arrive soon that the "ooh shiny" monster will strike me first and I'll dash off on another painting tangent. we'll see what happens.

Questions, comments and suggestions are always welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

-Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment