Thursday, December 18, 2014

Pavlovsk Grenadiers

Hello everyone!

I based up the already-painted Russian Pavlovsk Grenadiers that arrived in the mail yesterday (remember to click on the pictures for bigger versions).






All I did to these guys was to touch up the paint in some places where it had rubbed off. The original owner had painted them all with an orange-ish flesh tone that made them all look like a bunch of Oompa-Loompas, so I hit the faces and hands with a bit more natural tone. I then made the regiment's flags from pieces of printer paper wrapped around the poles and stiffened in place with super glue, then painted. I then based them all as normal on a 4cm x 4cm base in two rows of three.

The officer on the command stand is wearing a mitre, which I think is technically wrong. When the Tsar allowed the Pavlovsk Regiment to keep its' mitre caps after the Battle of Friedland in 1807 as a recognition of its prowess and in exception to the rest of the Russian Army, for some reason this was only kept for the rank and file; officers did not wear the mitre. However, the figure came with a mitre, and I think they look really cool, so the whole regiment will be in mitres. It's my hobby, and I'm not afraid to fudge history a bit to make me happy. (Fun fact: the Pavlovsk Grenadiers kept their mitres for the rest of the 19th Century and into the 20th; in 1917 there were still 600 mitres left in inventory, some of them with bullet holes from the Napoleonic Wars!)

Coming soon: Portuguese infantry, then the 1/88th.

Questions, comments and suggestions are always welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

-Chuck

2 comments: