Wednesday, August 19, 2015

U.S. Army Artillery Corps 12 Pounder--28mm

Hello everyone!

A bit of a late post for me, but I finished up the gun this afternoon and got all of the crew (which I finished last week) based up this evening, and I couldn't wait until tomorrow to get pictures up. Here they are for your enjoyment! (Remember to click on the pictures for bigger versions.)





The gun carriage was painted in the sky blue prescribed by US Army regulations in 1808, and all iron on the gun (to include the barrel) is painted black. The American Artillery Corps had guns during the War of 1812 which came in three main flavors: iron 12 pounder, iron 6 pounder, and brass 6 inch howitzers, all mounted on French Gibreauval carriages, as seen here. Of course, various state and local militias continued to use a myriad of whatever guns were available, including many guns left over from the American War of Independence. The above gun is in conformance with the 1808 regulations that standardized the Artillery Corps... almost. I've read that gun carriages were to have red wheel hubs, but I thought this looked stupid and omitted it. Gun carriage colors were often whatever color they were when the arrived in American hands, or whatever color happened to be locally available, so this change on my part is wholly justifiable historically.

Also, the base ended up being 45mm x 70mm, mainly because this size optimized my sheet of styrene that I use for bases. It turned out rather well, I feel.

Coming soon: we'll see what comes in the mail first. Odds are that's what I'll get started on first... the "ooh, shiny!" factor being high and all when a blister of figs arrives.

Questions, comments and suggestions are always welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

-Chuck

1 comment: