Sunday, August 9, 2015

US Artillery WIP 1

Hello everyone!

I spent most of today finishing up a War of 1812 American gun crew. These are 28mm figures made by Foundry. (remember to click on the pictures for bigger versions.)

Front view

Rear view
These guys are painted up in the uniform of 1812, with the blue coatee faced in red with yellow frogging and piping for the junior enlisted troops, while the sergeant (on the far right) has red cuffs and collar piped in yellow, with yellow frogging and epaulettes and a red sash, but with coatee tails in white instead of red. Why this peculiarity existed with noncommissioned officers of artillery is unknown to me, but I saw it represented in a number of uniform plates. All wear white gaiter-trousers over their shoes, as well as the early cylindrical-type shakos, made of either felt or leather. These have brass plates, white plumes and yellow cords.

Interestingly, the junior enlisted members of the crew wear both bayonets and prolongs, kit unique to American artillerists of the War of 1812. Most artillery batteries were armed with muskets for protection, and the crew retained their bayonets for these muskets as they worked their guns. The prolongs (leather baldrics attached to a length of rope, which sits coiled on their right hips) were used to physically move the guns over rough terrain; crewmen would literally hook themselves to the piece to drag it along. The figures carry cartridge boxes as well.

These lads are still on their painting bases because I am still waiting for my Brigade Games 12 pounder to arrive in the mail. I want to get the gun glued to its base and painted before I put these guys on it. I'm hoping that I will be able to get it and these four lads onto one of my standard 4cm x 5cm artillery bases.

Speaking of bases, I picked these up yesterday at a local hobby shop:

Citadel "Mordheim Turf" grass tufts
I've seen lots of other, very talented wargamers use tufts similar to these on their models, and I thought I'd give it a go myself. Kind of on the expensive side, but there are a lot of tufts in this container, so they should last a while. While I was in the shop I also picked up some thick plasticard for bases (I didn't think the thin cardboard I usually use would be sturdy enough support for a heavy 28mm gun and crew) and some styrene rod for flagpoles.

Coming soon: As soon as my gun comes in I'll get it painted up and these US artillery finished up. In the meantime I may start working on those greatcoated British infantry. I've decided to do a full battalion in 28mm, using 4 figures to a base, so 24 total figures. These will be the 4th (King's Own) Regiment of Foot, which fought in the Peninsula and in the War of 1812.

Questions, comments and suggestions are always welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

-Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment